Physiotherapy treatment will help reduce the impact that contractures have on your life and increase your independence with daily tasks. Physiotherapy treatment may include:
- Structured range of movement program – including passive and active movements to increase circulation, provide joint lubrication and to stretch soft tissues.
- Positioning – this will be continually assessed in lying, sitting and standing making it as functional as possible to prevent muscle shortening and decrease pain.
- Heat – to decrease muscle pain and assist tissue lengthening before stretching.
- Stretching – this may involve the use of splints or casts for prolonged stretch of the soft tissue surrounding a joint.
- Massage – helps maintain tissue mobility and nutrition.
- Manual techniques - joint mobilization may be used to increase joint flexibility and decrease pain.
- Advice and support on orthotic devices and adaptive equipment.
- Training for family or carers on positioning and posture
Your structured treatment programme will be suited to your needs and involve short and long term goals to make sure you reach your maximum potential.
For more information on contracture management or to book an appointment today, please call physio.co.uk on 0330 088 7800, or alternatively book online.