What is constipation?
Constipation occurs when bowel movements become abnormally infrequent and can affect men of all ages. Constipation is when faeces (stools) become hard, and difficult or painful to pass. This can mean that stools are not passed as often as they normally should i.e. less than three times a week. You may have to strain more than usual and you may be unable to fully empty your bowels. The severity of constipation can vary significantly and constipation can be experienced for a short period of time or symptoms may be experienced more long term.
What causes constipation in men?
Constipation can be caused by a variety of reasons. The most common causes of constipation in men include;
- Insufficient fibre intake
- Dehydration – not drinking enough fluids
- Stress / emotions
- Neurological diseases – such as Parkinson’s or multiple sclerosis
- Neurological injury – such as spinal cord injury or stroke
- Prostate enlargement or cancer
- Prostate surgery or other surgery to the area around the bladder
- Weakness in pelvic floor muscles / abdominal muscles
What symptoms will I have?
Constipation in men can cause symptoms such as;
- Inability to produce regular bowel movements – less than three times a week
- Difficulty or pain when passing motions
- Abdominal pain or cramps
- Feeling of being ‘bloated’ or sick
- General discomfort
- Tiredness and reduced energy levels
What physiotherapy treatment will I receive for constipation?
There is a variety of physiotherapy options available to you to treat constipation. The physiotherapists at Physio.co.uk aim to provide you with a comprehensive assessment and physiotherapy programme which will focus on your personal goals. Physiotherapy treatment may include:
- Relaxation of sphincter muscles
- Strengthening exercises for the pelvic floor muscles
- Strengthening exercises for the abdominal muscles
- Biofeedback training to show you how well you are using your pelvic floor muscles
- Electrical stimulation to improve muscle function
- Pain control modalities
- Controlled breathing and relaxation exercises
- Education on how to make lifestyle changes that may affect the bowels
Constipation is the inability to produce regular bowel movements and can mean that passing motion can occur less than the normal three times a week average. Constipation in men can be caused by a variety of reasons and can result in symptoms such as difficulty and pain when passing motion, abdominal pain and a feeling of being bloated. The physiotherapists at Physio.co.uk will provide you with a comprehensive physiotherapy assessment and treatment plan that aims to reduce your symptoms and optimise your recovery.
Please contact Physio.co.uk today on 0330 088 7800 with any queries you may have, to make an appointment or for any additional information. You can also make an appointment with us online today using our online booking system.