At Physio.co.uk our specialised paediatric physiotherapists are experienced at assessing and treating gait problems in children.
Gait problems we commonly treat at Physio.co.uk include:
- In-toeing gait - means that the feet point inward instead of pointing straight ahead when walking or running.
- Out-toeing gait - means that the feet curve outward instead of pointing straight.
- Tiptoe walking- means that the child walks on their toes instead of using their whole foot during the gait cycle
- Limping - means that the child is walking with an unsteady gait, favouring one leg and is most likely due to pain caused by an injury.
At Physio.co.uk our physiotherapist acknowledge that every child is different so treatment will depend on your child’s problems.
Physiotherapy treatment will improve your child’s ability to walk by implementing exercises and hand-on techniques that may involve:
- Practicing gait with the use of parallel bars
- Mirror imaging and verbal promoting to encourage normal movement
- Balance training to improve sensation, proprioception (awareness of limb in space) and coordination.
- Breaking the gait cycle into smaller more manageable chunks to improve movement throughout the whole gait cycle.
- Activities to increase the magnitude of the step, arm swing and amplitude of the movement
- Exercises to strengthen muscles in the legs, hips and trunk
- Stretching to increase range of movement
At Physio.co.uk our physiotherapists also work closely with podiatrists and orthotists who can provide additional treatment and equipment if necessary.
For more information on how physiotherapy can help you child, or to book an appointment please call 0330 088 7800, or book online today!