Rehabilitation without a Prosthesis Following an Above Elbow Amputation
A prosthesis following an above elbow amputation may not be for everyone. There may be many reasons to choose life without an artificial limb. Rehabilitation with a prosthesis will require guidance from an expert, hard work and time. If the decision is made by the individual or team of healthcare professionals that the prosthesis will not meet their rehabilitation needs, physiotherapy can still help. Physiotherapy can still assist the individual in adjusting to life without the use of their arm and help to promote as much independence as possible.
Benefits of Physiotherapy Following an Above Elbow Amputation
The physiotherapist will play a key role in your recovery post-surgery by:
- Assessing the respiratory system after the anaesthetic, giving advice on oxygen therapy and education on breathing exercises to help to clear their chest if required.
- Building up overall body strength helping to recover from surgery.
- Teaching skills in completing tasks and activities single-handed.
- Giving advice on how to cope with phantom limb pain.
- Being a source of guidance and assist with any problem you may face whilst you cover.
The physiotherapist plays a key role in the rehabilitation of an amputee. Losing a limb is devastating and with professional help recovery is optimised. Physio.co.uk will work hard to maximise your potential and minimise any problems that may occur throughout the rehabilitation programme. To arrange an assessment please call Physio.co.uk on 0330 088 7800 Alternatively, you can book an appointment online today!.