Gilmores Groin Repair Indications
Indications for the Gilmore Groin Repair are quite simple:
- An MRI scan confirming diagnosis and identifying the extent of the damage
- A lack of improvement in symptoms following non-surgical (conservative) treatment
Gilmores Groin Repair Surgical Procedure
Before a Gilmore Groin Surgical Repair, pre-habilitation is advised in the form of strengthening, stretching and core strengthening exercises. These physiotherapy exercises will have been performed as part of a physiotherapy conservative treatment plan.
Under anaesthetic (usually local anaesthetic), the Gilmores Groin Repair surgical procedure involves:
- Stabilisation of the tendon insertion in the groin
- Removal of a superficial nerve
- Insertion of mesh over the injury site to strengthen and support the inguinal floor, reducing risk of reoccurrence
The Benefits Post-Surgery
There are many benefits which can be gained post-Gilmore Groin Repair Surgery, especially considering the injury most commonly affects fit, active sports people.
- Return to sport and fitness
- Return to normal daily function
- Decrease/elimination of pain
- Improved mood and well-being
- Increased range of movement
Physiotherapy Rehabilitation Post-Surgery
Physiotherapy is essential to recovery. Post-surgery rehabilitation can begin 2 weeks after the surgery after a period of rest. Exercise begins at gentle, low level and gradually progress as the healing process develops.
The physiotherapy rehabilitation post-surgery is similar to pre-surgery preparation, taking the form of:
- Core Strengthening Exercises
Core strengthening is essential for re-building your abdominals, which will have become weak following surgery.
- Strengthening Exercises
Specific groin exercises will help strengthen the area to recovery.
- Stretching Exercises
Hip stretching is required to reduce tightness around the joint and increase range of movement.
- Sports Specific Exercises
Sports specific exercises drills will be used to regain endurance and technique so you can make a full return to your sport.
Physiotherapy following Gilmores Groin Repair surgery is a hugely important factor in reaching your maximum potential function.
If you have had a Gilmores Groin Repair and would like physiotherapy rehabilitation, you can email email@example.com for further information or call us on 0330 088 7800.