What is a cornet?
A cornet is a handheld device used by people with respiratory problems to help loosen secretions (phlegm) within the chest, and also improve chest expansion.
The device, shaped like a horn, requires the patient to blow into the mouth piece at one end. The blowing causes:
- Vibrations within the hose – these help loosen the secretions from the chest wall
- Resistance in the airways - this produces a positive pressure in the lungs and airways allowing them to expand more effectively
What are the benefits of a cornet?
The cornet device is particularly beneficial for a number of reasons including:
- Handheld and lightweight
- Can be used by the patient independently at any time of the day
- Can be used in a number of positions –not just restricted to use in sitting
- Can be used in combination with manual respiratory physiotherapy techniques
Who would benefit from using a cornet?
Any person with excess secretions as the result of a respiratory condition would benefit from the use of a cornet. Respiratory conditions include:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Chronic bronchitis