What is a falls prevention programme?
As people get older it is inevitable that they will be at a greater risk of falling. This is also true for individuals who have various neurological conditions. Falls are the major cause of injury with people over the age of sixty five and at Physio.co.uk, our specialist physiotherapists believe that it is important to minimise the risk of falling as much as possible by designing an individualised falls prevention programme.
What are the benefits of falls prevention programme?
The falls prevention programme consists of ten home-based sessions over a five-month period. During this time your physiotherapists will work with you to achieve the following benefits:
- Greater muscle strength
- Balance re-training
- Improved reaction time
- Walking re-education
- Increased flexibility
- Improved confidence
- Reduced fear of falling
- Improved independence
- Greater ability to carry out activities of daily living
Who will benefit from?
People are usually at a higher risk of falling over the age of sixty five although in some cases it may vary. The physiotherapists at Physio.co.uk commonly design fall prevention programmes for people who:
- Have a fear of falling
- Have a history of falls
- Have low confidence when mobilising
- Would like to increase their independence
- Would like to improve their general health and fitness
- Would like to improve their quality of life and well-being
- Are interested in improving their mobility
What does the fall prevention programme include?
Your physiotherapists will design a personalised falls prevention programme to suit your needs and goals. The programme will include:
- A full initial assessment
- Ten home-based fall prevention session over a period of five months
- A home safety assessment
- Teaching of strengthening exercises
- Teaching of balance exercises
- Walking re-training
- Ankle cuff weights to keep during the programme
- A progress diary to be kept throughout the programme
- Further advice for carers and training for carers and/or family members
- Progression of exercises
- A full report when the programme has been completed
To book a falls prevention programme with one of our specialist physiotherapists, please call Physio.co.uk on 0330 088 7800 today. You can also book an appointment online today!